100 Main Street North
100 Main Street North, ca. 1939
One-story Colonial Revival government building with full basement, and combination hipped and built-up roof. A brick basement level rises above grade to a deep limestone water table. A cast iron railing is continuous in front of this areaway to either side of the central doorway.
The elevated main floor is accessible by a semicircular flight of granite steps with cast iron railings. The exterior wall consists of one full story crowned by a limestone frieze and cornice which is continuous on all sides. The roof over the public lobby is hipped and covered in standing seam metal. A small wooden, octagonal cupola with louvers at the four smaller sides and a flat metal roof with finial is located on the roof ridge over the central bay. The area behind the lobby is a built up roof.
The street facade is divided into five bays. The entry way is highlighted by a semicircular portico with abstracted detailing including a multi-coursed architrave supported by two rectangular, fluted limestone piers and two similar pilasters flanking the central doorway. The limestone architrave is topped by a wooden cornice; the entire entablature is continuous on the main portion of the building. Above the double doorway is a rectangular transom window with leaded panes which has been painted over. This transom is topped by a wooden entablature with dental molding above a cast stone eagle approximately one foot high.
Windows in the main facade are wooden frame, double-hung 6/6, with limestone lintels and sills. The southwest facade consists of five bays of windows; the northeast facade similarly contains five bays. A loading platform projects from the center of the northwest rear elevation.